Translate

Monday, July 8, 2019

In the world of the Academe...a look back!

Acknowledgement page part of the book done by my students in Integration for Digital Story Telling
Long time ago, and never so far away.
Why it seems that it sounds like I am singing here. 😁
I actually wanted to tell everyone that I started teaching year 2008 for the Tertiary Level in Roosevelt College System in Cainta Rizal, which lasted for a year and a half.
After that, mainly because of financial difficulties...I went back to the broadcast industry and pursued a job of a Segment Producer for GMA News TV that lasted for a year.
But there's a window that opened after the opportunity I had with GNTV, I found a job for an Associate Producer post in Solar News Channel, which was eventually known by many up to the present as Nine Media Company, CNN Philippines.
After almost 6 years of working with the same company, I was one of the many employees offered to do a graceful exit...right then and there I never knew that the profession I left for many years will now be my current job.

PREVIOUSLY


Late afternoon of June, I received a message from a friend his name is Samu and he was asking me if I can teach at the school where he's currently committed at the time. I said "Okay" to acknowledge his message but I guess it was interpreted in such a way that I am right away willing to teach as a part-timer. Just to be clear on this, there was no hesitation on my part...its just that before I commit for this very particular work, I wanted to have a self-assessment that I am really suited for this job to the best of my very ability.




The same day, I also received a text message from "Sir Julius Ramos" of ABS-CBN University asking me if I can teach to ELJ...the next thing I'm actually aware of that time, I sent him a copy of my resume. And to cut the long story short, I accepted the job and started immediately the following day.


AT PRESENT




4th of October 2018 as the world commemorates "World Teachers Day" I was part of it.

At Eugenio Lopez Center for Media Arts Senior High School in Kamuning, Quezon City, I became a teacher again.
And the student council just prepared all of us a very exciting surprises.

At the beginning, we attended a mass along with the fellows and students as well and came immediately games they made for us!

I don't know one game I remember was placing a glue on our faces and the goal was to collect as many cottons that will stick to it as possible.
I looked miserable after that but played and enjoyed it with the fellows.



From left Sir Remerzon Araza, Sir Mon Confiado, Mam Yeng Tome, Sir Erl Camano

There was a lot a game which involves eggplant and an egg bringing this to the finish line. Some eggs got cracked and some went to other directions but believe it or not...there's a winner at the end.


But wait there's more...one of the most hate portion of the surprise was when we were asked to dance..."Boom boom!"
Where I got notice not dancing by one of my student. 🤣 Sorry but not really my cup of tea.



The very best part was my very first experience having the idea of lunch in a "boodle fight" concept.


There's so much in there most of it were temptation food like "Pork Inihaw"
"Fried Tilapia" to name a few! 😁

I had the best lunch ever with the fellows of course.




As we finish our best "boodle fight" ever, inside the faculty all the teachers gathered and there we had our photo opportunity.
If you think all were present no...some were not around.
And got amazed with our numbers! 🤔

With co-teachers inside ELJ' s Faculty room
October 2018, World Teachers Day
Well, I will say that I will surely miss most of them. We might all have different subjects and grade levels were handling...but we are all beings dedicated to teach the students.

I will miss my morning early call time that's one thing for sure.
My alarm clock was always set around 4:30 in the morning and should be out of the house by 5:00am...to be of service for teaching around 7:00 in the morning.

Believe me it wasn't easy to do for I do not sleep early but sleep early morning.
But eventhough I lack sleep then, my students were all awake and enjoyed learning with the "out of the box"  and "traditional" teaching I applied then.

The first semester of 2018 was really loaded of subjects for I was teaching "Media Foundation" and "Integrating the elements and Principles of Organization in the Arts." 
I actually luckily handled "four sections" which includes Grade 11, Digital, Radio, Film and Grade 12 Excellence. 


With Grade 11, Digital

With Grade 11, Radio

With Grade 11, Film
I never had a mastery of an effective formula for teaching. Sometimes I also struggle because not most of my students when you give your 101 percent...some don't bother to give back at all.
I remember I got critized by some students who think they do not deserve the grades I gave them.
I just reminded them again that I just computed their grades and it was them who made it. Now, if you are lazy and do not exerted effort like the way other students did...it will always reflect on your total grades.
At this very moment, I have to draw the line for students who do not comply with the requirements on time.

The second semester was a little lighter because there was just two subjects offered to me "Developing Filipino Identity in the Media Arts" "Research and Writing for Narrative" and a "Media Foundation" again.

With Grade 12, Integrity

Grade 12, Meritocracy

Grade 12, Teamwork

Grade 12, Teamwork

With Grade 12, Integrity

With Grade 12, Media Foundation Class from left Benedict Torenia,  Lee Ann Sovietkaya Dee, Darlene Ballano
Aprielle Racsa was absent
The heavy and memorable part was the culminating class requirement that was all given to Grade 12, graduating students to produced and perform a play.

This requires extra-time and effort for most fellows to look after their class for several rehearsals and actual play that ends late most of the times.

But being a part of this exciting semester gave me more understanding of things to consider, learn more and how to deal with situation that sometimes came in unexpectedly.

But again "all good things must come to an end."
I am not leaving my teaching profession entirely.
There's just a siren call to went back to my first love being a journalist again.
Because they say opportunity knocks one.
Eventhough, I have to make a big decision very urgent...I know my new learnings and experiences in the Media will help me when time comes to give back again to the academe.

But true enough, presentations I did for every class I attended helped me thoroughly to pinpoint important things that requires greater attention.

This is not goodbye! 😃






No comments:

Post a Comment