Translate

Monday, October 23, 2017

My first 5K fun run...ACCOMPLISHED!



This is so serious the last time I participated was many years ago.
I don't know after that I think I lost my sense of "Participation," and the idea of being "Engage," in that kind of activity.
But this particular "Fun Run," came in at the right place and at the right time.


HOW DID IT STARTED?



There was an invitation that I have seen on our company e-mail.
What interests me was that...I could avail the membership for "FREE," if I will be among the first 10 employees who will send-in their names.
And LUCKILY...I was at number 10.
So, I believe this was really intended for ME!


PREPARATIONS

The fun run was officiated by the Philippine Red Cross, encouraging individuals, groups, several companies and organizations to participate. Part of the purpose of the event was also to encourage volunteers across the country. And secondary was achieving the "Guinness World Record," for the most number of runners who will participate.







Part of my preparations was to exercise for 5 consecutive days prior to the event. This I believe a very helpful way to at least condition the body and the mind that I will be running for 5K.

I did this because I wanted mainly to finish the run without experiencing muscle cramp or any related injury.
Plus the fact that I really wanted to challenge myself that even though I did it long time ago...my "WILL," will let me push through!


So, I religiously wake up every 6:00 in the morning and jog for 30 minutes or more.


OTHER PREPARATIONS

We were told by the company that there are no more "Singlets," and that we should be responsible on looking for a running outfit we will wear on the day.
I looked around a certain mall for a "red," clothes. Red because the event was officiated by the Philippine Red Cross.
I also bought a pair of socks and some extras like "Knee Pad."
Which I end up choosing not to wear them on the actual run.
Not because I never wanted to wear it. It was because much of my time were taken by looking for a place where to put my things.
Too bad, the organizers did not consider it.


ROUTINES

I normally begin biking for 10 rounds inside the available parking area within the church near to us.
It was a perfect venue for it has high fences, secured and that I will avoid accident from motor vehicles. Only that it serves as a dropping area for students going to school, but I looked at them not "HINDRANCES," but an "OBSTACLE," a perfect training for the actual run where there are many expected participants from different organizations and companies.

Then, after that I will park my bike and will walk also 10 times.
That is indeed my preparation to run now for 10 rounds as well, then will walk again.

I will now move to a certain elevated side and will do 3sets of 12 reps push ups and sit-ups.
But prior to mentioned exercises...stretching before and after is a must.


ACTUAL DAY



I woke up 3:00 in the morning for the assembly time was set at 4.
It was intentional for I have to a lot an hour for commuting.
I am coming from Navotas and the venue was set at Quirino, Grandstand in Manila.

Honestly speaking, I only slept for 3hours but I heard from some that they do not have
enough sleep as well and some never slept at all.

Never needed much stretching prior to the run, because I and the rest of the participants who commuted walked from Rizal Park going to Quirino Grandstand.

I never wanted to go on a fun run without having anything in my stomach...so while walking towards the exact venue, I was eating a sandwich and a banana prepared by my wife at home.

I don't know but gun starts was expected to begin at 5:00 in the morning but it started 30 minutes after.


WORRIES




During the run, I was thinking if I will finish it. What I had in mind was I will be experiencing muscle cramps etc...and it was I don't know raining at the time.

During the time I was thinking all of those worries...I remember what my good friend and Kumare "Iyos," told me. Just keep a certain pace while running and it really helped me!

I actually put a timer during the event. I wanted to keep track of how much time I allotted doing it.
I was amazed that at one point, I was running continuously for 18minutes after that my body and my mind dictates me that I should stop and walk slowly.
I actually stopped running 3 times before I finally conquered the finish line.




I'm thinking now that this is not the last event I will be participating...but this will be the start of many many fun run I will join.
There's a certain feeling of "HAPPINESS," and "FULFILLMENT," because I was able to accomplished something very very good on my health and my whole being.

Now, my goal is a fit body for my birth month...meaning I will keep the fire burning.

See you soon again on the next fun run!














1 comment:

  1. Congrats Bong! Hope to see you in upcoming races next year! :) Imee

    ReplyDelete