Translate

Sunday, August 29, 2021

A window back to my real world


The toughest question so far that was asked of me and it was then coming from the OIC on Zoe Broadcasting Network, Inc. Mr. Rene Gonzalez.

I replied back after asking several questions, but I gave a precise answer and that was "yes". It was Friday,  6th of August, realizing that they wanted me to take over as an Executive Producer, Monday, 16th of August.


THE WHOLE STORY

It was 6th of August, while I was waiting for 
one of my students in my online teaching class, I got a call. It was from Zoe Broadcasting whom I forwarded my resume, the night before. 




The truth of the matter was, I only applied as News Desk Editor. I found the notice on one of my reporter in Manila Times Television JD Del Rosario. The next thing, I know, I was with other key people of the company for a zoom final interview.

It was 11th of August, Wednesday, I finally met our reporters, and of course our News Manager. 
Right then and there, I signed for a job order under the "Executive Producer" post. 

In 2019, I worked for the same post at the Manila Times Television. And in March of 2021, I was hired as the head of the News and Current Affairs under Dreamwave  Media Network also situated in Ortigas, Pasig City. 


A NEW HOME! 



The very week, I met also with the writers/segment producers and other people whom I will be working with, to survive our daily newscast. Thus, came after a company orientation of its mission, vision and goal. 





And also, I think the challenging part was understanding the machine where all the content will be written. 
During my previous work with other broadcasting networks like that of ABS-CBN, we are using "electronic newsroom" (ENR) and iNEWS from CNN Philippines. 
But I never came across with "NewsBox" a total stranger for me. 

When it comes to the rundown, it already has a templated one. Like, I need to understand how to memorize popular commands like anchors on cam, back to back sot, upstream, roll vtr, end etc. 
The correct placing of commands are essential in achieving the smooth flow of the newscast. 






Like, I was told about related concerns on the newsbox during their previous airing in the control room. 
If ever, I need to have a final line-up, that I will not move or edit. Because, it will affect our on-air newscast. 

So far, I was able to understand newsbox thoroughly within the span of two weeks. 


UNDERSTANDING THE WORK LOAD




I was up around 6:30 am, for a 9:00 am office call time. This was where I have to see it myself how was rush hour specially during Monday. 




For the first week, we were at the office around 9:00 am, a very early preparation for the 10:30 pm newscast. 
The editorial team did this to fully understand the scope and its work load. 









It was on the 13th of August, when we did a newscast simulation. We were able to gather all fresh content, but there was scarcity  of editors. 
But we pushed through, by getting scripts from 30th of June line-up. 
Though, I and our News Manager felt that the produced content wouldn't be usable, I suggested and we both agreed that the simulation will help us understand the technical side of the newscast.


WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH AND THE TOUGH GETS GOING






While, I was teaching myself to fully comprehend everything, I noticed that I was too concentrated on looking at my content. 
This, neglected even the time, I will spend for lunch, merienda and even dinner. 

There was a time, I experienced getting dizzy and that I wasn't completely understand what I was writing. 
I even closed my eyes for minutes, for I felt that my eyes were too dry due to the long exposure in front of the computer. 





But, I shaped up, started  bringing meals my wife prepared for me at home. 
On the first week, I resorted to a quick convenience store and fast food chain restaurants for my food to eat. 
But, budget wise and time related concerns, it won't work for me. 


THE GOOD WORKING RELATIONSHIP




I'd like to begin this by quoting what was once said by our News Manager, Gerry Lirio. 
According to him, 
"The team is survived its daily airing because of its teamwork."

It's not common that you will find people in the industry, whom you will work harmoniously. It happens in real life for each of you has different qualities, but what will give fairness is that all of you has the same skills acquired in the broadcasting.

The way I perceived it, just like in cooking we have all the ingredients ready to come up with the best tasting meal, in broadcast the right amount of news to inform and inspire. 


ABOUT BALITANG A2Z 




Balitang A2Z is a weekday late night news program that delivers comprehensive and credible news alongside community-focused and inspiring stories that are relatable to Filipino free TV viewers to empower them to make decisions in their daily lives and motivates them towards positive change.






You can watch Balitang A2Z with our anchor Barbie Muhlach weekdays, Mondays thru Fridays, 10:30 pm on Zoe Broadcasting Inc., Channel 11.




No comments:

Post a Comment