Translate

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Step by Step


"Number one, I fear dancing because I know I am not a good dancer. And I was intimidated by the fact that I am joining a group that was all part of a younger generation."

I never knew that there will be a chapter in my life, where in I will be seeing myself dancing again.
If my memory still serves me well, I last spotted myself doing it when I was in College, many years ago. It became so memorable because I was dancing for a classroom presentation. And after that, it never happens again.
But recently, I don’t know why, but I think by fate it finds me.
When I was told that I will be a part of a Christmas Party group dance presentation, honestly speaking, I thought about it twice.
Number one, I fear dancing because I know I am not a good dancer. And I was intimidated by the fact that I am joining a group that was all part of a younger generation.  
But because of a co-worker named Grace, who believes in me more than I believe and trust myself…I took the challenge and start doing a basic step, I joined them.
We had our first rehearsal held at Orange Studio, somewhere in Boni Avenue, Mandaluyong City for a Christmas Party that will be held on the 19th of December, with the rest of group members whom I instantly met there. Most of them were Solar News Channel, reporters along with some representatives from MMR, editing, and mostly in the production side.
I have to admit that I am really having a hard time following steps, specifically that of with Michael Jackson’s dance, ‘Dangerous’. Personally, the steps required for the dance were very hard to follow because it goes with a snap.
But since I got myself included, there’s no way I’m backing out.
Here, I came to realize that dancing just like singing has to be in-tuned and in timing all the time. It doesn’t just require will but more on passion to do so.
The night after, I had several pains felt in some areas of my body especially my legs, and my lower back. No wonder, because again I was like a baby, who’s been learning the basic of crawling and walking straight literally here.
I was then so lucky and the whole member of the group to have a very good dance instructor, overflowing with patience.  I admire Allen for extending his patience especially to Me, though at some point I was a little mad at him because he chooses an MJ dance.
One problem I and the rest of the members encountered was finding time to practice again. But an old cliché proves that ‘if there’s a will, there’s a way.”
The whole group had the chance to practice again hours before the competition. We all went outside and spotted a vacant place in the Manila Polo Club, Makati City,  and there we refreshed all the steps as well as the final blocking.
Up to the last minute, I and Grace still practicing the steps. And while we’re doing it, we were shocked and run towards the stage when it was announced that it’s time for us to perform.
There was butterfly in my stomach before and at the time we were dancing but I have to temporarily forget about it to perform well.
Our group performed at the latter part of the program and after a few minutes results were announced, our group won the grand price worth P50 thousand pesos.
Overall, the whole experience was fun plus the fact that I was at some point conquered my fear of dancing.



Photo taken at The Manila Polo Club, Makati City, during the Solar News Channel, Christmas Party, December 19, 2012, Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment